• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help me please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justme303

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
kentucky
I need to know if it is illegal for my boyfriend to live with me while i am seperated.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
kentucky
I need to know if it is illegal for my boyfriend to live with me while i am seperated.
It really might depend on why you're asking - while Kentucky is generally a "no fault" state (ie fault by either party is irrelevant to the divorce proceedings), it might impact custody, child support and/or alimony.

Would any of these things be of concern to you?

mistoffolees

It really might depend on why you're asking - while Kentucky is generally a "no fault" state (ie fault by either party is irrelevant to the divorce proceedings), it might impact custody, child support and/or alimony.

Would any of these things be of concern to you?
That's not what OP asked. She asked if it was illegal. The answer is 'yes'. Bigamy is still a crime in KY.

Wife On Run, First Kentucky Woman Facing Bigamy Charges - Cincinnati News Story - WLWT Cincinnati

Correction:
I don't know why I was thinking bigamy, when what she is describing is clearly adultery, but not bigamy. It's not illegal. Stupid, maybe, but not illegal. Sorry.

Last edited:

Ronin

The answer is 'no', living with a boyfriend while still married is not illegal. It is also not bigamy.

Last edited:

Golfball

Adultery is illegal (i.e. prohibited by statute) in some states. I do not know if Kentucky is one of those.

However, I'm guessing DA's usually have better things to do with their time than prosecute adultery cases.

That being said, it can still have an effect on things outside of custody / child support / alimony. In NC, a woman was denied a promotion (or removed from her position, I forget which, and it's been several years since it cropped up) within her county sheriff's department because she & her SO were living together w/o being married. I don't know, off the top of my head, what the status in the appellate courts was of that case, or whether the parties settled.

LdiJ

Adultery is illegal (i.e. prohibited by statute) in some states. I do not know if Kentucky is one of those.

However, I'm guessing DA's usually have better things to do with their time than prosecute adultery cases.

That being said, it can still have an effect on things outside of custody / child support / alimony. In NC, a woman was denied a promotion (or removed from her position, I forget which, and it's been several years since it cropped up) within her county sheriff's department because she & her SO were living together w/o being married. I don't know, off the top of my head, what the status in the appellate courts was of that case, or whether the parties settled.
NC is the one state we know of, and have known of for quite a while, that still enforces those kinds of laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">