• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to file

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dixiesweetheart

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I have a quick question. My brother asked me to do some research and find out how he goes about filing for divorce. I understand that he is going to more than likely get a lawyer but the main concern in his case is what state to get a lawyer at. Here is a quick view of his situation. He is registared to vote in the state of Maryland and has his drivers license from Maryland, He is in the military and pays his taxes in either Maryland or Washington DC. Because of his military career he dosn't stay in one place to long he is currently in North Carolina so can you please tell me which state he needs to file in?

Golfball

Probably Maryland, since his permanent address is there (as per his DL), he files his taxes there, he is registered to vote there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">