• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Warrant for arrest for 1989 debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clicker

I used to live in Arkansas and recently found out I have a civil warrant for my arrest there which stems from a college tuition bill from 1989. I had to drop out for medical reasons and my loans and grants had not been processed. I dutifully kept in touch to see if the paperwork was still coming through (I was hoping at first to return to school ASAP). Then a few months later, I was told by an administrator that the paperwork would not be put through because I left school; and because they only admit students in the fall, I would be liable for the spring semester as well. I had a fellowship that someone else could have been given and now it was wasted. I was mortified, and I only got a few bills from the U. over the next year, then they stopped. It never appeared on my credit, but I couldn't pay the $9,000 bill if it had. I argued and argued with the university, but they're used to rich people who pay whatever they say.

Then my grandmother read in my Arkansas hometown paper that a civil judgement had been made against me by the University for approx $9000-- SEVEN YEARS after they billed me (when it would have gone off of my credit I suppose). Now, it is four years later and recently on my old house was tacked a civil warrant for my arrest.

What can I do? I never knew about the judgement until it was too late to do anything, and I certainly can't pay now-- and never could have in the past. I'm unemployed and behind on student loans as it is. Can they impose liens against me for this civil judgement? And when is the warrant likely to expire? The sheriff's dept there has no website, and I don't want to call for more info since I'm afraid they'll figure out where I live now. Is it enforceable nationwide? Would Chapter 13 or 7 bankruptcy clear it?

Thanks for any information. I should never have been expected to pay the amount, and I think it's unbelievable they could arrest me for it.
I know people there who have stopped paying on credit cards owing more than that and in one case, $20,000 owed on a car they wrecked without any insurance-- by declaring bankruptcy, I think. Nothing ever happened to them regarding law enforcement, though.

JETX

First, you need to get the facts together. An arrest warrant cannot be issued for your not paying a debt. It is more likely a "Contempt of Court" warrant for failing to comply with some order of the court (debtor exam, etc.).

I would contact the court that is handling the case (noted on the notice on your door) and get the facts. When was the case filed, how was it served, when was the judgment rendered, etc. and get a copy of the complaint. Only with these facts can you properly address the issue.

Right now, there are far too many variables for anyone to be able to give you factual assistance. When when you get these facts and dates, come back here and we will try to help.

To answer your general questions:
1) Yes, if the judgment is valid, there are a number of possible remedies that the creditor can do to enforce the judgment.
2) If this is a warrant, it probably won't 'expire'.
3) Yes, an arrest warrant is entered into the NCIC computer and usually 'pops up' during a traffic stop... with your arrest.
4) Bankruptcy will have no affect on the warrant. However, if might affect the judgment but, bankruptcy is NOT to be entered lightly. It has some MAJOR impacts on your next 10 years in rejected credit or much higher interest rates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">