• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-consensual tow from my condo's private lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhughart

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Hello, I recently moved into a new condo where there is a lot clearly marked for resident parking only. I was told I could park in the lot and did. I also have an underground parking spot where I keep my other primary vehicle so I don't really drive the vehicle parked in the outdoor lot ever. I went out to check on the vehicle in the lot and it had been towed. I'm just wondering if it is legal for a condo association to tow a vehicle when there is no system in place to register your vehicle and there is no decal system? There are signs everywhere clearly stating that residents can park there and I was told by my landlord I could park my other car there. They had the police come out and put a warning sticker to move the vehicle but I didn't see it because I don't drive it ever. I'm thinking of taking this to small claims court if I have a good chance of winning the case. Any opinions? The car is now in the lot again and the condo association says its fine now, but they refuse to refund the money.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Hello, I recently moved into a new condo where there is a lot clearly marked for resident parking only. I was told I could park in the lot and did. I also have an underground parking spot where I keep my other primary vehicle so I don't really drive the vehicle parked in the outdoor lot ever. I went out to check on the vehicle in the lot and it had been towed. I'm just wondering if it is legal for a condo association to tow a vehicle when there is no system in place to register your vehicle and there is no decal system? There are signs everywhere clearly stating that residents can park there and I was told by my landlord I could park my other car there. They had the police come out and put a warning sticker to move the vehicle but I didn't see it because I don't drive it ever. I'm thinking of taking this to small claims court if I have a good chance of winning the case. Any opinions? The car is now in the lot again and the condo association says its fine now, but they refuse to refund the money.
**A: take it to small claims. There is more to this story.

Michael_O

Did you have your cars registered with the HOA?
Since you did not drive the car, the HOA probably saw this as an abandon car. Some association do not allow long term parking to happen without moving of the car periodically.
Did your car have up-to-date tags? This would be another reason for it to be towed.
You should have received a copy of the rules and regs. when you signed your lease or at your closing. Read them closely...your answer is probaly there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">