• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shall I sue my bank?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CM873

Hello,

Perhaps this is not the correct forum for this question, but here it is:

My checking account, opened in California, was overdrawn by about $100 while I was traveling around the country. Unbeknownst to me, the bank had closed the account. I attempted to deposit a check for $3,000 over 90 days ago. The check was processed, the money removed from the account on which the check was written, and I have yet to receive any funds or communication from my bank.

Despite repeated telephone calls to customer service, they will tell me nothing more than that they are investigating the matter.

I understand that it their procedure to deduct from my $3,000.00 deposit the $100.00 or so that I owe them, and return to me by mail a cashier's check for the remainder. I was told in January that this would take up to three weeks. It is now March 13th and they have made no efforts to communicate with me whatsoever.

My question is: is this treatment legal? Have I any recourse? Shall I sue them or threaten to sue? Is there a particular area of the bank to which I should direct copies of my letters of complaint in order to get better service or threaten them into compliance? Please help.

Note: My home address for the duration of this affair and for over one year prior to that has been in the State of New York. The bank uses this address for all communication with me. I add this in case it changes the situation in any way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">