• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting a judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plantman10

Michigan. In November of 2008 we won a judgement ($3,600.00) in small claims against a company (LLC) AND the owners for a piece of defective equipment we had purchased from them in December 2006. We paid our attorney $1,900.00 in fees.

The Company is now closed, but the owners still live in the general area, and I would like to collect . I am at this point in time considering a "judgement lein". But I would like to pursue "garnishment or levies" on bank accounts, so I don't have to wait until these folks sell property or die and have heirs sell it off.

This is something that I would like to do on my own. I really like my attorney, and she done a great job for us. But it is time to quit "bleeding" cash over this deal. The "guy" got his equipment back, my attorney got a good paycheck, and I got a judgement!!!!!!!!

Any help with what my options here are would sure be appreciated.

Thanks!!:)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

Follow this link...

The link below is for the Michigan Courts self-help guide to collecting your judgment. It discusses options and gives you info on how to do it yourself.

courts.michigan.gov/scao/selfhelp/collection/collect-help.htm

plantman10

Collecting a Judgement

Thank you sandyclaus, i appreciate your info, however the link does not seem to be complete as it will not connect me with the site. Is there more to it??
Thanks,
plantman10

plantman10

Many Thanks!

Been doing some excellent reading, and think we will be able to handle this ourselves from this point.

We greatly appreciate your direction!!

Plantman10

sapphire

Is your judgment against a defunct company?

If the judgment is only against an LLC and not against the principal of the company, you're probably out of luck.
On the other hand if you took a judgment on the principal of the company, you can pursue that person, garnish bank accts, place liens, even force the sale of real property, etc.

Main Attack Dog...turning piles of worthless paper into piles of CASH!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">