• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA financial responsibility after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tresha

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My mother died owing a nursing home money. However, she had no money left in her bank account. Am I finacially responsibile for this? The nursing home has turned this account over to a collectiona agency which will affect my credit rating.

anteater

As long as you did not sign anything in your own name (as opposed to, as the agent for your mother) accepting financial responsibility, then you should not be personally responsible. Your power as your mother's agent ended when she passed away.

Did your mother own any other assets?

Tresha

My mother had no assets and was on medi-Cal and and Medi-care. I signed documents when she was admitted to nursing home. I signed, as I was instructed by the admittance person, my name followed by POA.

anteater

If she was on MediCal, how did she end up owing the nursing home?

In any event, tell the collectors that she had no assets and you were only her agent under a POA. If they continue to harass you, post the situation up in the Debt Collections forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">