• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a vehicle and the seller left the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knewell2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Me and my boyfriend bought our first car, a 1999 Dodge Caravan on May 4, 2009. When we went and looked at the vehicle, I noticed that van did need new tires, however, I asked the seller if it needed ANY repairs (major or minor)? Her response was "No, the vehicle is in great driving condition". Once able to have it registered, we took it to Monro Muffler, who told us it needs $1500 worth of work just to pass inspection! Once they told us that, I knew she didn't have the car inspected because she bought the vehicle in March of 2009 and the inspection sticker on the vehicle is from December 2008. The reason she didn't have it inspected is because it wouldn't pass with the problems that existed. However, the seller left the country almost immediately after we purchased the car. I e-mailed her and asked if she could just send back $500 for us to put towards repairs. She responded with "No I will not and if you want the money that bad you will have to take me to court"..."and because I am not in the U.S. anymore, you can't sue me". She also proceeded to tell me in the same e-mail that she took the van to Meineke and they told her it needed brake work and new tires and she thought they were trying to cheat her out of her money and she was aware of the problem. So, technically, she knew the problems existed and didn't tell me until the e-mail yesterday. Everyone that I have spoke to said there is nothing I can do because she left the country. So you mean to tell me, that because she left the country, I don't have any rights as an American to sue her for a probable cause? I have more than enough evidence to have a strong case. Can someone please help me?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You Are Guilty

Me and my boyfriend bought our first car, a 1999 Dodge Caravan on May 4, 2009. When we went and looked at the vehicle, I noticed that van did need new tires, however, I asked the seller if it needed ANY repairs (major or minor)? Her response was "No, the vehicle is in great driving condition". Once able to have it registered, we took it to Monro Muffler, who told us it needs $1500 worth of work just to pass inspection! Once they told us that, I knew she didn't have the car inspected because she bought the vehicle in March of 2009 and the inspection sticker on the vehicle is from December 2008. The reason she didn't have it inspected is because it wouldn't pass with the problems that existed. However, the seller left the country almost immediately after we purchased the car. I e-mailed her and asked if she could just send back $500 for us to put towards repairs. She responded with "No I will not and if you want the money that bad you will have to take me to court"..."and because I am not in the U.S. anymore, you can't sue me". She also proceeded to tell me in the same e-mail that she took the van to Meineke and they told her it needed brake work and new tires and she thought they were trying to cheat her out of her money and she was aware of the problem. So, technically, she knew the problems existed and didn't tell me until the e-mail yesterday. Everyone that I have spoke to said there is nothing I can do because she left the country. So you mean to tell me, that because she left the country, I don't have any rights as an American to sue her for a probable cause? I have more than enough evidence to have a strong case. Can someone please help me?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your "right as an American" is to sue anyone you want, anytime you want, in any American court. Your problem, once you buy an index number and draft a complaint, is who are you going to give it to? You have to personally serve (i.e. hand the defendant a copy) of the complaint.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

You have a better case against the mechanic who you had inspect the vehicle before you bought it...
(It was 10 years old...what did you really expect?)

knewell2008

I know her address in the country she moved to! can that help? There should be something I can do! The mechanic didn't inspect it before I bought it. They inspected it after the purchase. Just to have told me that I could have brought it before I purchased it.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

I wouldn't trust the word of a chain-store muffler shop.

My son took his car to a muffler shop for an inspection sticker. They told him it needed $2500 to repair.

The only thing it NEEDED to pass inspection was a flange welded onto the front exhaust pipe (between the engine and the cat). The old one had broken because there was a broken motor mount. The exhaust shop did not notice the broken mount.

They charged me under $100 to weld the mount and the flange.

Get a second opinion, and find someone who fixes cars for a living.

Zigner

The mechanic didn't inspect it before I bought it. They inspected it after the purchase. Just to have told me that I could have brought it before I purchased it.
Yes - they are telling that and *I* am telling you that. You were buying a 10 year old car! You should have taken it to a mechanic BEFORE buying it.

Enjoy your new car.

knewell2008

I understand now that I should have taken it to a garage before I bought it; but I still want to know where my rights as an American went? Just because she left there is "nothing" I can do legally? So, if I were to have sold someone a very unsafe car, and left the country, I would be safe legally?

Zigner

I understand now that I should have taken it to a garage before I bought it; but I still want to know where my rights as an American went? Just because she left there is "nothing" I can do legally? So, if I were to have sold someone a very unsafe car, and left the country, I would be safe legally?
She has the right to be properly served for any action against her. Frankly, I don't think you have a case against her in the first place...

Isis1

chances are, if she stayed in the country, the outcome would be the same.

if you want to spend the money to have her served out of the country, be my guest.

you bought a used car. unless there was a contract otherwise, the car was bought "as is".

it doesn't make your rights disappear. the question is, is this worth pursuing.

knewell2008

:mad:I am asking for serious advice...I don't need the rude remarks!! I have a child who would have been riding in the car unsafely if I didn't find out the current problems in the vehicle!! Please take the questions seriously and consider the lives that could have been at risk!!

Isis1

:mad:I am asking for serious advice...I don't need the rude remarks!! I have a child who would have been riding in the car unsafely if I didn't find out the current problems in the vehicle!! Please take the questions seriously and consider the lives that could have been at risk!!
honey, you are supposed to care BEFORE you made the purchase. not AFTER.

Zigner

PHEW! Lucky thing you found out about the problems and have the opportunity to repair them BEFORE taking your kids in the car!

knewell2008

i did consider it before!! I told her that it would be a family car and my child/children would be riding in the vehicle; that is why I asked the seller if there was anything wrong(major or minor)!! she said no. when I had mentioned taking it to someone to have it looked at before the purchase, they told me that where ever I take it to would charge me to have it looked at. Yes, was my first car, however, I asked her to be completely honest about ANYTHING that could possibly be wrong. I have 2 witnesses that were there and heard and saw everything that took place.

Zigner

i did consider it before!! I told her that it would be a family car and my child/children would be riding in the vehicle; that is why I asked the seller if there was anything wrong(major or minor)!! she said no. when I had mentioned taking it to someone to have it looked at before the purchase, they told me that where ever I take it to would charge me to have it looked at. Yes, was my first car, however, I asked her to be completely honest about ANYTHING that could possibly be wrong. I have 2 witnesses that were there and heard and saw everything that took place.
There are none so blind as those who will not see...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">