• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

55 + community

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe in calif

I live in California.
I live in a 55 + community, I know that at least 1 member of a household must be at least 55 years old to live there. And that if a person dies and their spouse is under 55 the spouse can still live. My question is if a owner dies and wills the property to a child less than 55 years old, can that child live there? Thank you for any help on this subject
Joe

HomeGuru

I live in California.
I live in a 55 + community, I know that at least 1 member of a household must be at least 55 years old to live there. And that if a person dies and their spouse is under 55 the spouse can still live. My question is if a owner dies and wills the property to a child less than 55 years old, can that child live there? Thank you for any help on this subject
Joe
**A: most likely not.

Delcondo

The 55+ Communities are established with rules that limit home ownership/occupancy based on age restrictions. Those age restrictions
are very specific and normally include only one grandfather clause that
relates to the younger spouse should they not meet the age restriction
upon death of the older spouse (who met the age restriction requirement).
This clause serves the purpose of not requiring a widow/widower to be
forced to sell and move due to their spouse's passing. It's extremely unlikely that a clause exist that would allow a child who is willed a property and does not meet the age restriction to be allowed to live in the 55+ community.

BlondiePB

Typically, 55+ communities are designated so by these communities fulfulling state requirements. States may/may not have allowance guidelines for these communites for inheritance purposes for heirs not 55+.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">