• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pro Se Questions & More

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

songstress

I live in TN...I will be filing in GA..

There is a good chance I will be filing suit pro se, and was wondering if there are any good resources in either TN or GA?

I have talked with lawyers regarding the case, and plan if nothing else to have the documents looked over prior to filing. And yes, I know more often than not having a lawyer is best, but there is no big monetary payout here, so the retainers etc. are cost prohibitive. Though a young upstart would be a welcome possiblity.

In putting this all together I was wondering about a few things:

If a civil case makes it through the courts and it is not settled, and decided by judge/jury if the plaintiff loses are they responsible for the defendant's legal costs?

If one wishes to file/proceed anonymously/with a pseudonym
what is the procedure? I do believe because of the nature of the case, it may very well be allowed.

Thanks for any and all input.
Songstress

JETX

Depending on the cause of action, a losing Plaintiff could be charged with the Defendants legal expenses. Especially if the lawsuit is found to be frivolous or substantially without merit.

As for the "Jane Doe" issue, it would not be possible for the courts to accept a Pro Se (or Pro Per) case without proper identification of the Plaintiff. It is possible in an action where an attorney represents the "Jane Doe", but would be highly unlikely and would need prior approval (and review) of the court. An example would be verifiable death threats, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">