• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Edecker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have numerous problems with my HAO. Currently the biggest issue I have is the new security company they hired. I just moved in two roommates to live with me and I am unsure of how to register their cars to get through the gates. I am fearful that if I saw they are renters the board will inform me that I have to have approval from the board, even though I live in the house. I want to register them as owners and perhaps say they are family. But i do not know if I can even do that?? I own the condo. So isn't it my right to have who I want to live with me?? Also they are attempting to force me to put a homeowners sticker on my car, which I am refusing to do because it states the name of the community on it and I feel unsafe driving around with it on my car, is it legal for them to force me to do that?? Oh and there was no legal vote for the security guards to have been put in place, the HOA just simply decided to double our fees and add the guards so I never signed anything saying I would conform to the rules of the guard.
Thank you for any imput
Erika

The HOA can employ a security service
The HOA can require parking stickers
The HOA does have a say in who live in their Association!

You do not own an independent home, you own a share of a larger pie.

It will take some getting used to...

Good Luck

Edecker

But how can they tell me who I can have live with me? I understand their right to choose who can lease or rent to. But when I am living there, how can they tell me whether or not my cousins or friends can live with me, can they choose my boyfriend or husband also??

You Are Guilty

But how can they tell me who I can have live with me? I understand their right to choose who can lease or rent to. But when I am living there, how can they tell me whether or not my cousins or friends can live with me, can they choose my boyfriend or husband also??
Because you agreed to it by purchasing a home in a HOA. How would you like it if your next door neighbor started running a brothel in their home, but claimed that it was OK just because he was "friends" with all the ladies working there?

HomeGuru

Because you agreed to it by purchasing a home in a HOA. How would you like it if your next door neighbor started running a brothel in their home, but claimed that it was OK just because he was "friends" with all the ladies working there?
**A: good analogy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">