• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Small Claim against my father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigmike0003

My father barrowed $400.00 from me at the beginning of the year. I have the cancelled check. He agreed to have me paid off with-in 4 months at a rate of $100.00 a month. I recieved $100.00 about 3 months after the loan and he refuses to pay anymore. I really need my money back and he knows this. I know it's not alot of money but it is the principle. What is my best bet to go about doing this in small claim?

When I do the small claims do I include his wife and his business to have the best chance of getting my money back? Also he thinks I wrote loan on the bottom of the check, do I need to show this? I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks, Mike

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My father barrowed $400.00 from me at the beginning of the year. I have the cancelled check. He agreed to have me paid off with-in 4 months at a rate of $100.00 a month. I recieved $100.00 about 3 months after the loan and he refuses to pay anymore. I really need my money back and he knows this. I know it's not alot of money but it is the principle. What is my best bet to go about doing this in small claim?

When I do the small claims do I include his wife and his business to have the best chance of getting my money back? Also he thinks I wrote loan on the bottom of the check, do I need to show this? I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks, Mike
Sue the bad guy in small claims (good grief!)

And, did his wife lend you money? Did the business loan you money? Why would you even think of suing those entities?

bigmike0003

No but we live in Wisconsin and I'm sure her and the Business got benefit from MY money. I'm asking for help not hassle.

patstew

Seems like you're the one creating the hassle here -- is the $300 really more important than your relationship with your father? I realize family dynamics can be complicated, so who knows, the answer could actually be yes.

My personal philosophy is that if you loan money to friends or family, don't ever expect to get it back and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Why not just let it go and never loan to him again?

Creepin

My personal philosophy is that if you loan money to friends or family, don't ever expect to get it back and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Why not just let it go and never loan to him again?
I totally agree.....
$400 isn't really worth the headache and heartache it's going to cause you.

I loaned my Aunt $800 4 years or so ago. I never saw 1 dime back.
Even when they got their tax returns.....nothing.
I just let it go and chalked it up to a learning lesson with family.
I almost took them to court just like you are.....but it's water under the bridge at this point.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My personal philosophy is that I don't loan money that I can't afford to never see again. Then (internally) I consider the money a gift, so I don't get bent out of shape if it doesn't come back. If it does come back, I'm even happier :)

(I've only put this philosophy in to practice once, and it worked out fine)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">