• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding name to bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lykele

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My elderly parents, now in their late 80's, are have some problems keeping up with timely payment of bills. I would like to add my name to their bank account.

My question is should I just add my name as a joint owner or should I add my name as POA which I do have. Is there any difference now? Any difference later when they pass away?

Thanks. JimWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

If you have a financial POA (which should specify that it becomes durable if they should later become legally incompetent), that should be sufficient. At the very least, the bank will want a copy of the document. Many financial institutions will require that their own forms also be completed. Check with them.

You can't "...just add [your] name as a joint owner." Your parents could if they are still competent. But that can open multiple cans of worms and is not necessary to simply assist them in managing their financial affairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">