• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Association Late Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmpYou

California

Our community association changed property managers this year. I am a retired neurosurgeon who travels around the world about 80% of the time volunteering (my surgical skills) and bought a condo so it would be easy to leave unattended.

The quarterly association payment is about $90 and I thought I had set it up on auto pay prior to a trip but apparently did not. This being said, I have 2 pmts that did not get processed, Feb and June. As a result the new company has added Interest charges (which I have no problem with), "pre lien letter" $150 to me and an additional $50 for a second copy, $200 "Lien fee" twice, and additional charges. They then sent it to their "collection attorney" who added an additional $800 in charges for a total of $1900 charges total in the past 6 months. As best I can find they sent out a late letter, then the "lien" letters threatening to file a lien but during this time I was traveling and there were no "certified" copies received, just normal mailings.

My question is. Can I be charged $1900 in charges in less than 6 months on a $180 debt?

Thanks! California

HomeGuru

California

Our community association changed property managers this year. I am a retired neurosurgeon who travels around the world about 80% of the time volunteering (my surgical skills) and bought a condo so it would be easy to leave unattended.

The quarterly association payment is about $90 and I thought I had set it up on auto pay prior to a trip but apparently did not. This being said, I have 2 pmts that did not get processed, Feb and June. As a result the new company has added Interest charges (which I have no problem with), "pre lien letter" $150 to me and an additional $50 for a second copy, $200 "Lien fee" twice, and additional charges. They then sent it to their "collection attorney" who added an additional $800 in charges for a total of $1900 charges total in the past 6 months. As best I can find they sent out a late letter, then the "lien" letters threatening to file a lien but during this time I was traveling and there were no "certified" copies received, just normal mailings.

My question is. Can I be charged $1900 in charges in less than 6 months on a $180 debt?

Thanks! California

**A: yes you can. And you can also argue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">