• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Townhouse special assessment for repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ibelle78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I live in one of 10 townhomes. There are two rows of townhomes, with 5 units each. Significant water damage was found in the other building. This damage is due partially to how the building was constructed 20 years ago, but there were many reasons (including old roofs, cracks in outside walls, etc) that led to the damage. Our row of townhouses has minimal damage. An owner in the other building is now wanting us to all pay equal amounts into special assessments in order to pay for the damage. However, an attorney we spoke to mentioned Illinois law that says if we do use special assessments to pay for it, owners have to pay the percentage of what was done to their home (for example, if unit A had $50,000 worth of damage, they have to pay $50,000 of the special assessments). What is the name/number of this law? I have been searching for it on-line but cannot find it. Any advice would be appreciated.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I live in one of 10 townhomes. There are two rows of townhomes, with 5 units each. Significant water damage was found in the other building. This damage is due partially to how the building was constructed 20 years ago, but there were many reasons (including old roofs, cracks in outside walls, etc) that led to the damage. Our row of townhouses has minimal damage. An owner in the other building is now wanting us to all pay equal amounts into special assessments in order to pay for the damage. However, an attorney we spoke to mentioned Illinois law that says if we do use special assessments to pay for it, owners have to pay the percentage of what was done to their home (for example, if unit A had $50,000 worth of damage, they have to pay $50,000 of the special assessments). What is the name/number of this law? I have been searching for it on-line but cannot find it. Any advice would be appreciated.

**A: I have never heard of such a law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">