• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased a car with salvage title but didn't know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meineke229

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

A few months ago I purchased a vehicle from Nevada threw private party sell. I noticed the car was for a pretty good price never stated anything about salvage or non salvage i assumed it was ok. I got the vin did a carfax and it came back ok. Well I paid for the car but never got anything but a bill of sale. The owner said they filed for a lost title but haven't got the title yet. I did have them goto DMV and get a certificate of title to prove they owned the vehicle and they did. I gave them cash but we stated on the bill of sale about half of what I payed. Anyway 5 weeks goes by and no title from the seller so i goto dmv and ask how i get a title they run the vin and tell me its salvage. I live in California but purchased the car threw a private party in Nevada. can I sue these guys or am I screwed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

A few months ago I purchased a vehicle from Nevada threw private party sell. I noticed the car was for a pretty good price never stated anything about salvage or non salvage i assumed it was ok. I got the vin did a carfax and it came back ok. Well I paid for the car but never got anything but a bill of sale. The owner said they filed for a lost title but haven't got the title yet. I did have them goto DMV and get a certificate of title to prove they owned the vehicle and they did. I gave them cash but we stated on the bill of sale about half of what I payed. Anyway 5 weeks goes by and no title from the seller so i goto dmv and ask how i get a title they run the vin and tell me its salvage. I live in California but purchased the car threw a private party in Nevada. can I sue these guys or am I screwed?
You may have some recourse against Carfax...

If you sue the guy, you wouldn't get back the full amount you paid, since you lied to avoid the taxes :rolleyes:

meineke229

How would I win or even prove in court that i didn't know about the salvage.. all he would have to say is i knew I mean really I need advice how to win this.. I looked up in Nevada that a private party doesn't have to tell you if its salvage or not and I never asked honestly because the carfax. . HELP !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">