• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing the locks and holding tools of my trade

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shirley Niemi

i live in oregon. i am a independent contractor and lease my chair from a shop. i am a hair dresser. the owner of the shop intercepted a phone call to another shop from me, and assumed i was looking for another job. the next day when i appeared for work, the locks had been changed, and she had called my clients and cancelled my appointments.
She is holding all my equipment and claims i owe her $80, but will not make arrangements to pick any of it up. i have been forced to buy my equipment and supplies in order for me to continue working at my trade. can i take her to small claims court and is there a time limit on when i can do this? she has never sent me anything in writing concerning my equipment. We do have a contract.

JETX

From your post, it appears that you probably have a cause of action against the shop owner; however, you need to read your lease.

After reviewing the lease, if you find that you were not in violation of any part, then you might consider taking her to court for your damages. These consist of the 'converted' property and your lost wages from her cancelling your appointments. You might also be able to recover exemplary compensation for 'constraint of trade'.

Also, you might consider contacting your local police department to go with you so that you can recover your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">