• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help serving someone w/a summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rengal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am trying to take someone to small claims court. They have dodged the process server on 2 different summons, originial and alias. I do have a promissary note, their social security # and a drivers license #. They work for the US Postal Service Distribution Center and the USPS will not allow a server on the gated property. His address is not valid at the DMV. Any assistance would be appreciated. I contacted a couple of attorneys and they all said it would cost me $$$$. I live in Massachusetts. Thanks....:confused:

justalayman

this is from the dade county court website but the service process should be the same across the state:

there are two methods which you may use to summon the other party or parties to court:

The sheriff or a certified process server may serve the summons and a copy of your lawsuit on a defendant within Miami-Dade County for a fee. To obtain a list of process servers in Miami-Dade County, you should contact the Administrative Office of the Courts at (305) 349-7369. For service outside of Miami-Dade County, you must make arrangements to have a process server of the sheriff of the county where the defendant lives serve the papers.

You may attempt service of a summons on parties within the State of Florida by certified mail-return receipt requested. A deputy clerk can assist you with this procedure at any of the filing locations. There is no fee for this except the actual cost of mailing.
if you cannot serve the guy using either of those methods, you just keep trying, or give up.

if you cannot serve him, you cannot go to court. It's just that simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">