• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rescinded employment offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sfchica

The state is california. I am currently unemployed and have been interviewing with several companies to secure a sales position. I received three offers and declined two of them. I returned my written offer to my selected company on March 8th, according to the deadline. On March 11, my hiring manager called me and indicated she was rescinding the offer because she was uncomfortable with how I had behaved during the recruiting cycle. She made a comment about how she regretted not asking me for references and implied that I had misrepresented myself in the recruiting process. Incidentally, we had both worked at the same employer, but in different groups, one year ago. Had she checked my references (like the other companies did), she would not have reason to doubt my capabilities.

So now the market is tanking, and I turned down other opportunities which are probably not available to me. Do i have any basis in pursuing a reliance damages or acting in bad faith case against them. The hiring manager clearly mismanaged this process and it has negatively impacted me.
I'm not the litigious type, and will probably just move on, but if she has exposed her company to potential liability, I'd at least like her to learn from this, so she doesn't do it again.

alfie9999

Same here

Please let me know what you found out. I have a similar issue. The company rescinded after I accepted on March 3rd or so in a written letter. I signed the offer and faxed it back to them. Today Mar 30t they rescinded my offer claiming financial issues with the company. What are my legal rights?
[email protected]

Beth3

You will need to consult with a local attorney to determine if you can pursue a claim for detrimental reliance.

alfie9999

Detrimental Reliance, Offer Rescinded

IF the employer would have hired you and then laid you off after one day, most companies provide at least 2 weeks severance pay, so why is it not possible to collect this when the offer is rescinded? . I am not sure that the laws are fair when it comes to this issue of detrimental reliance and employment at will. Like many other laws, it favors businesses vs individuals. Because of market economics, a company looses much less than an individual when the individual rescinds an offer vs a company rescinding that offer !!! The only way a plaintiff can win in such a case is by a lengthy and expensive legal process and big brother always has the upper hand here!!! and us citizens pay the bills!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IF the employer would have hired you and then laid you off after one day, most companies provide at least 2 weeks severance pay, so why is it not possible to collect this when the offer is rescinded? Because it's absolute nonsense to say that most companies would offer at least two weeks severance to someone who was laid off after only one day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">