• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i represent my husband ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jekisa56

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
I was wondering if i could represent my husband in a small claims suit. We tried to get it changed to a diff date and they would only let me extend it for one week when my husband is a truck driver and will still not be able to make it. If he doesn't come we have to pay the full amount they are asking for. I was wondering if i could rep him since he wont be their. it was for a lease we had and they only named my husband in the suit- i'm thinking becuase they knew he would have a hard time makeing it back due to his job.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
I was wondering if i could represent my husband in a small claims suit. We tried to get it changed to a diff date and they would only let me extend it for one week when my husband is a truck driver and will still not be able to make it. If he doesn't come we have to pay the full amount they are asking for. I was wondering if i could rep him since he wont be their. it was for a lease we had and they only named my husband in the suit- i'm thinking becuase they knew he would have a hard time makeing it back due to his job.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Are you an attorney?

CourtClerk

What did the court say when you asked them this question?

What do the rules of civil procedure say regarding the matter when it comes to small claims court?

jekisa56

i haven't asked the court yet, the court date is tomorrow. My husband was trying to get back, but had problems and is now no way making it. I tried on friday to call and couldn't get a hold of them. So i dont know what the rule is thats why i was trying to find out on here.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i haven't asked the court yet, the court date is tomorrow. My husband was trying to get back, but had problems and is now no way making it. I tried on friday to call and couldn't get a hold of them. So i dont know what the rule is thats why i was trying to find out on here.
Most likely no. YOU cannot represent someone else.

154NH773

Most likely no. YOU cannot represent someone else.
That is not always true. CourtClerk is correct in steering you to your local or state court rules. In NH anyone of "good character" can represent anyone else who gives them a power of attorney. There is no requirement that you be an attorney, and I have represented my wife here in NH.

Check on-line, or ask the court if it is possible.

You Are Guilty

That is not always true. CourtClerk is correct in steering you to your local or state court rules. In NH anyone of "good character" can represent anyone else who gives them a power of attorney. There is no requirement that you be an attorney, and I have represented my wife here in NH.

Check on-line, or ask the court if it is possible.
You may want to ask for a refund on your geography textbook - Utah is not in New Hampshire.

Mass_Shyster

You may want to ask for a refund on your geography textbook - Utah is not in New Hampshire.
But it looks like they may follow similar rules:

http://www.utcourts.gov/howto/smallclaims/

"You may also be represented by an employee, or, with the approval of the judge, by any other person who is not paid."

Tallrat

But considering the OP wasn't able to google this information for herself makes her a VERY POOR candidate to "represent" her hubby.;)
Being internet ignorant has nothing in common with being able to tell her husbands story. I know many cops who can write a hell of a report as long as computer is already up and running.

Just Blue

Being internet ignorant has nothing in common with being able to tell her husbands story. I know many cops who can write a hell of a report as long as computer is already up and running.
She wasn't to internet ignorant to find this site. She could have, just as easily, found the state code. Jus' saying...:)

Hopefully she was able to find a solution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">