• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute with family member over a car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommmyof5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I made an agreement to purchase a car from family. I paid $1000 down with the agreement that I would pay $200 a month until the balance was paid, (which was $2000). My husband lost his job, so we were late on a payment. Family then stated they wanted the car back, to resell. The title was transferred in my name, so I sold the car for $2800. I gave family the $2000, and kept the remaining $800. Now family is angry that I didn't give them the full $2800 and is threatening to take me to court. What I want to know is did I do anything wrong, and/or do they have any grounds to sue? Needless to say, this is not a happy family right now.:confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I made an agreement to purchase a car from family. I paid $1000 down with the agreement that I would pay $200 a month until the balance was paid, (which was $2000). My husband lost his job, so we were late on a payment. Family then stated they wanted the car back, to resell. The title was transferred in my name, so I sold the car for $2800. I gave family the $2000, and kept the remaining $800. Now family is angry that I didn't give them the full $2800 and is threatening to take me to court. What I want to know is did I do anything wrong, and/or do they have any grounds to sue? Needless to say, this is not a happy family right now.:confused:
Based solely on your post, it sounds like you're in the right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">