• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salvage Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chs6639

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I purchased a vehicle a week ago for $200. I understood when I was going out to purchase a vehicle at that price that it was sure to have high miles and probably some mechanical/cosmetic issues. I was alright with that and welcomed the opportunity to take something inexpensive and make it nice and my own and re-sell it later. The ad says the vehicle is in excellent condition with new tires and interior $800. Long story short...the ad did not mention it and when I asked the seller about the vehicle history I was told that it had no major problems or incidents and that he performed preventative maintenance and he used it to commute (And that he owned it for 4 years). I chose to buy the vehicle and used this form: Car Bill of Sale Example for my bill of sale. I did not know that in California there is a space on the title that lists vehicle condition (hopefully it is blank, but...I later discovered this box (I had not noticed it before until my roommate pointed it out) that it looked like somebody used something to rub off the designation. Curious as to what it was, I used Carfax. SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED. I don't know anything about what CERTIFICATE was issued (???) Now, had the seller (Private Party) disclosed that in the ad or in writing (Signed by both of us) this would be a whole different story. But, I did not know until afterwards because the title looked clean and correct (It was even difficult to notice the alteration under "vehicle condition" even after I discovered it had been removed). I wanted an around town vehicle that I could fix and sell later, but that now has changed after discovering the SALVAGE designation.

Due to him not disclosing in the ad or in writing that the vehicle was a salvage vehicle what if anything can I do? The seller never gave me anything or had me sign something acknowledging the SALVAGE status. Even after directly asking him. I thought that if the vehicle was salvaged that he needed to add that to the Bill of Sale. The seller also did not SMOG the vehicle so I had to cover that cost as the seller did not wish to work with me.

The bill of sale is for $200 and the original sale price in the ad was $800. I had planned to get the vehicle completely fixed up and I have in fact fixed the engine and the car is running good.

After finding out from my roommate about the suspicious title I had to use carfax to find-out what was going on ($29.99 paid). Very worried at this point, I also sent the vehicle for a diagnosis ($124.95 plus tax paid).

I am not upset about the wear and tear issues or any damage, but I am upset that I was not fully disclosed as to the SALVAGE status and that I cannot get a decent resale amount later after I fixed it. I was lied to and the ad said Excellent Condition. A SALVAGE vehicle does not fit Excellent Condition...it was salvaged, that is not excellent no matter how much it was fixed.

Do I have any recourse against this individual. I know he completely misrepresented this vehicle and I'm upset.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

chs6639

Original post needed editing for clarification, length, and less personal comments. More to the Point :)

racer72

The answer is still the same. Sue for the difference in value. Small claims courts have seen lawsuits that small before.

Mass_Shyster

I purchased a vehicle a week ago for $600.
The bill of sale is for $200 and the original sale price was $800.
If you have a bill of sale saying you paid $200 for the car, that's the most you can recover, assuming you can prove the car is completely worthless, otherwise you'll get the difference between the value of the car, and the $200 you paid.

I suspect the scrap value is near $200.

racer72

Time Out.....
Buddy, are you taking us here on these forums as a bunch of idiots? We don't like being BSed and you are slinging the crap far and wide.

On July 18 at 2:47 am you posted:

I have tried looking it up, but cannot find a direct answer. Let me briefly explain: I purchased a cheap vehicle a week ago about $600.
Now you come back here and on July 29th at 5:42 pm, you post:

I purchased a vehicle a week ago for $600.
Then in the same post you state:

The bill of sale is for $200 and the original sale price was $800.
You can't even keep the facts straight in the same post. Or are you a total screw up that goes around buying used crap cars? Your invitation to use the Free Advice forums is hereby revoked.

chs6639

Thank you Stevef for a real reply :) So, now my question is will it be worth it for me to pursue him for the SMOG issue, Pursue criminal fraud charges (if that is possible), continue to small claims just to get his name in system? The point is not the $, but making sure this guy learns a legal lesson and thinks twice next time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you Stevef for a real reply :) So, now my question is will it be worth it for me to pursue him for the SMOG issue, Pursue criminal fraud charges (if that is possible), continue to small claims just to get his name in system? The point is not the $, but making sure this guy learns a legal lesson and thinks twice next time.
Says the guy who committed fraud by lying to the DMV about how much he paid for his vehicle.

You're not going to be here for long anyway...

chs6639

Let me clarify...As I said I bought the car for $200. I'll edit my post to clarify...Maybe you should have asked for clarification rather than than just responding *******!

chs6639

You're not going to be here for long anyway...[/QUOTE

Why don't you grow some and just say it...

A closet threat, wow!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let me clarify...As I said I bought the car for $200. I'll edit my post to clarify...Maybe you should have asked for clarification rather than than just responding *******!
You're a liar, as has been pointed out.

Mass_Shyster

There's a difference between not disclosing a salvage title, and misrepresenting the title status. Unless he said "clean title", I disagree with the statement that he misrepresented the vehicle.

You can do a frame-off restoration of a vehicle, and still have a salvage title. The title status has nothing to do with the condition of the car. It may be a warning to someone that the car has had major damage.

Like I wrote earlier, the fact that a $200 car has a salvage title has no real effect on the value. You can still get $200 from a scrap metal dealer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">