• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

halfpint1994

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ut. My sister has power of attorney for my dad. She is using al his credit cards to pay her personal expenses, such as insurance and phone bills, and gas for her vehicle. Is there a way toask her to stop legally? Can I ask her to stand down as power of attorney, and give up the credit cards and bank accounts?

latigo

Is there anything you can do personally to revoke the sister’s power or take legal measures in order to effect some curtailment of her abuse of the agency authority?

Sadly, the answer is no. Not directly. Not while acting in your individual capacity.

A power of attorney simply creates an agency relationship. And unless the authority to act on the grantor’s behalf is “coupled with an interest” (where the attorney-in-fact has given consideration for the power) it can be revoked at will. That is, at the pleasure of the maker and for cause or without cause.

In this sense it is similar to an employer/employee relationship.

Consequently, since you father granted the authority, it’s his prerogative to choose whether or not to revoke it.

However, if I were you, I would document all that you have told us. Bundle it up in a neat package (copies that is). Tie a nice pink bow on it and send it to the sister with the message that if she does not immediately surrender her authority and make reimbursement of the embezzled funds, that you will present the package to the police and prosecuting attorney for felony prosecution.

Need I explain why I don’t allow my clients to give POAs unless there is and absolute need and no alternative and only for specific purposes and of short duration? Especially to family members!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">