• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Earthquake firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

strongone

I live in Seattle, WA where we recently had a 6.8 earthquake. As a result, the city Department of Construction and Land Use has "yellow-tagged" the building I work in. This means that the building is unsafe, the hazzard may increase at any time, and that if you enter the building, you do so at your own risk. The building has been tagged for 7 business days. Four days ago I told my boss that I felt unsafe in the building and that being at work made me feel very nervous. I told her that, while I value my job and enjoy it, I felt my safety and serenity were my first priority. I told her that I was willing to work from home. I told her that I would come in each morning for a few minutes to process the mail and checks and pick up any projects she wanted me to do at home.

I work at a non-profit organization. Today she informed me that she had spoken to our personnel committee chair, and he had recommended that I be fired for abandoning my job. She said she wanted to let me know that if the city doesn't take the yellow tag off and I continue with the current arrangement she would fire me for abandoning my job. Can she do this? I would be at work if the building was safe and I weren't putting myself in jeopardy by being there. I have kept in contact with my boss and continue to work at home. I had a review approximately one week ago and she told me my work product was good, and did not discuss any problems with my performance. Can she fire me for this? Thanks for your help.>>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">