• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrecked Car sale gone sour

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkmcdonald1985

Indiana

Hello all, my wife recently wrecked her 2000 honda accord which only had liability on it its paid off and everything we have the title. yes shes okay, she hydroplaned into an on ramp cement barrier at 55MPH and to my point.

Our neighbor saw us taking photos of the car ( yes amazingly it drove over 15 miles home in a straight line seemed fine minus the body damage but we dont have the money or means to fix that). He asked us if we were selling it i told him yes on ebay im going to put it up for 1500.00$ he stated that he fixes and repairs cars some that are totaled he has done before so i said let me bring it over to ur house ( he lives a few houses down across the street).

I explained to him what happened that i have popped the hood, it takes a prybar after the initial release from the button inside the car and that the batter appears to have been moved over from the passenger side about 6 inches or more towards the driver not sure if its structural or not but let me go get my prybar to open the hood for you he goes not needed i can fix this fine will be a fun project for me! so after he keeps looking at it and what not sees that it does run engine runs fine i told him i had just done new sway bar links and oilchange / sparkplugs and wires for a tuneup and runs great he said i know you guys drove it every day it sounded great still sounds fine when you drove it over here. I insisted again that i go pop the hood for him so he can check under it to make sure everything is in a condition he could repair he said no need i can see under the side it looks fine to me! i said are you sure he said yes.. and he will be down later if he decides to buy it ohh by the way will you take 1000.00$ for it instead of the 1500 your asking .. i said yes thats fine we just need it out of our driveway and it looks like you can fix it from what you've told me.

1 hour later he comes down to my home with a check for 1000.00$ its legit not a starter check or anything tells BOTH me and my wife here is a check for 1000.00$ deposit it on monday wait for the cash to clear and show available in your bank account THEN sign me the title over and bring the car to me then. we told him we could sign the title over on the spot if he wanted he said thats not needed you people seem honest enough ive seen you out here all the time i know where you live. we said okay but let us bring the car to you so you can start working on it he said you don't have to but if you trust us your more the welcome to i said okay thanks it gets it out of my driveway then, he said ok i can start working on it then i said yup no problem... heres the nasty part (this is from a middle aged man me and my wife are just starting out with a kid and only in our early 20s)

The next day he comes to my house when our parents are over and we are out rings the door bell tells my dad, that he refuses to pay 1000.00 dollars for that car cause its damaged beyond repair... so when i get home later and find out he comes down about 20 minutes after i got home saying yah im not paying for that car anymore ( this is after he tore the entire front end apart and wants to return it to me ) calling me and my wife scamming lieing children trying to screw him out of his hard earned money. Told us that our grand master plan was to cash the check at his bank before he noticed the frame was damaged beyond repair ( ohh by the way we can re-negotiate a price ill give you 200 for it ... after he said its damaged beyond repair this a day after looking at it and agreeing to buy it and writing a check) I responded in kind with well sir, i offered you several chances to look UNDER the hood for a better view and you turned them down. i even gave you the keys and put the car at your house BEFORE the check cleared since you seemed excited to start on a new project. Why would we try to scam you out of 1000.00 dollars if i knew the frame was that bad i would not have given you the actual car untill the check cleared!

Do we have any legal legs to stand on to sue him for the 1000 dollars since hes taken delivery of the car and tore it apart then canceled his check and now wants to return in? i still have the check from him signed for 1000.00 with a memo stating for wrecked 2000 honda accord. Im in the military i leave in less then 2 months, my wife does not want to nor do i want her to have to try and sell a wrecked car or leave it in our driveway looking like sandford and sons ( i sorta feel bad about trying to stick him with it if he truly cant fix it but he said its totaled beyond repair then wants to negotiate a new price after he already purchased it once...after he had ample oppurtunity to inspect it and told me he could fix it fine and would be fun) My family has a good friend whos a lawyer who currently out of town would my best bet be to have him write a letter and then take it from there?)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">