• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underground Sprinkler Flooded Basement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slkem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I have a situation that I am considering for small claims court. A couple of weeks ago an underground sprinker PVC fitting cracked outside my house right at the foundation. It pumped water around my foundation at full pressure for 2 hours before the problem was discovered. The result was wet carpet through half the finished basement with a cleanup cost of $1,300.

This was not covered by insurance. As the sprinkler system is only 2.5 years old, we are pursuing settlement with the sprinkler installation company. We have had little luck to date. I am considering taking the installer to small claims court. I have good documentation of the damage, cost to repair, etc.

Is this a strong enough case to take to court?

slkem

Because it's a core component of their system that I have never changed or modified, and these systems have an expected life span far longer that 2.5 years. I believe it likely goes back to faulty installation. If PVC fittings are over-tightened at install, they will fail over time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I have a situation that I am considering for small claims court. A couple of weeks ago an underground sprinker PVC fitting cracked outside my house right at the foundation. It pumped water around my foundation at full pressure for 2 hours before the problem was discovered. The result was wet carpet through half the finished basement with a cleanup cost of $1,300.

This was not covered by insurance. As the sprinkler system is only 2.5 years old, we are pursuing settlement with the sprinkler installation company. We have had little luck to date. I am considering taking the installer to small claims court. I have good documentation of the damage, cost to repair, etc.

Is this a strong enough case to take to court?
You have good documentation as to everything except your assertion that the installation company would be responsible after 2.5 years...

How are you going to prove to the judge that the failure of a non-moving part that has not been touched by the installer in 2 1/2 years is due to faulty installation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">