• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my mother over this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Broke2009

I am in Arizona.

So, my mom kicked me out when I was 18 because she re-married and her husband didn't want a ready-made family. I have been homeless/couch surfing until I got my own apartment and have had several changes of address because of it. Every now and then I call my mother to see if she has received any of my mail and she always said no. Now, unknown to me, I get a photo-radar speeding ticket which are sent out in the mail. I have changed my address several times with the post office and the DMV but for some reason the ticket gets sent to my mother's house. I never find out about it because she still says I didn't get any mail. Later, the ticket gets served to her door! And she takes it! Saying she'd get it to me. And I never get it. Then, the court notice shows up, I never get it, then the letter saying the ticket it delinquent and the letter saying I have a suspended license shows up, and I don't get. So how did I find all this out of my mother never told me? Because I was pulled over for, to my extreme surprise, driving with a suspended license.

I have now gone 2 months with no license and has friends drive me or taken the bus to work. I have had 2 court dates and pleaded not guilty because of the situation, but they won't listen and gave me another court date 3 months off. So I tried to pay what I could to get things resolved so I can just have my license back and it looks like they are going to charge me over $1000! Fees for the ticket(which I am willing to pay, totally my fault), the fee for serving the letter to the house, the failure to appear in court fee, the traffic school fee, and of course the driving with a suspended license fee. Not to mention all the money spent on other forms of transportation.

I can not get my mother to appear in court and I am sure she would just lie to the judges face because they are more likely to believe the mother than a 20-year old girl (who looks Hispanic(and isn't), which is HORRIBLE in this state because of the prejudice against Mexicans).

What should I do? I feel so trapped! I am totally willing to pay the $180 for the speeding ticket, but I need to drive and I can't afford to pay all these fines.

Help Please!
Broke2009.

Antigone*

I am in Arizona.

So, my mom kicked me out when I was 18 because she re-married and her husband didn't want a ready-made family. I have been homeless/couch surfing until I got my own apartment and have had several changes of address because of it. Every now and then I call my mother to see if she has received any of my mail and she always said no. Now, unknown to me, I get a photo-radar speeding ticket which are sent out in the mail. I have changed my address several times with the post office and the DMV but for some reason the ticket gets sent to my mother's house. I never find out about it because she still says I didn't get any mail. Later, the ticket gets served to her door! And she takes it! Saying she'd get it to me. And I never get it. Then, the court notice shows up, I never get it, then the letter saying the ticket it delinquent and the letter saying I have a suspended license shows up, and I don't get. So how did I find all this out of my mother never told me? Because I was pulled over for, to my extreme surprise, driving with a suspended license.

I have now gone 2 months with no license and has friends drive me or taken the bus to work. I have had 2 court dates and pleaded not guilty because of the situation, but they won't listen and gave me another court date 3 months off. So I tried to pay what I could to get things resolved so I can just have my license back and it looks like they are going to charge me over $1000! Fees for the ticket(which I am willing to pay, totally my fault), the fee for serving the letter to the house, the failure to appear in court fee, the traffic school fee, and of course the driving with a suspended license fee. Not to mention all the money spent on other forms of transportation.

I can not get my mother to appear in court and I am sure she would just lie to the judges face because they are more likely to believe the mother than a 20-year old girl (who looks Hispanic(and isn't), which is HORRIBLE in this state because of the prejudice against Mexicans).

What should I do? I feel so trapped! I am totally willing to pay the $180 for the speeding ticket, but I need to drive and I can't afford to pay all these fines.

Help Please!
Broke2009.
Stop blaming your mother for everything that is wrong in your life. You have no one to blame for your traffic ticket issues but yourself.

Sue your mother...:eek: oh freakin puhlease!!!

BL

So for two years you never received mail and did not ask your mother if she was receiving any mail for you , or you set up a PO box ?

Yeh blame it on perceived race ....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am in Arizona.

Help Please!
Broke2009.
1) Out of all of that - what makes you "not guilty"?

2) Why in the world would you think your race has to do with this?

racer72

You had 2 years to change the address on your vehicle registration and driver's license so you could receive anything sent to you. By not doing this, you could face additional penalties.

Broke2009

So for two years you never received mail and did not ask your mother if she was receiving any mail for you , or you set up a PO box ?

Yeh blame it on perceived race ....
I have been receiving mail at my new address and I have changed all the addresses with the DMV several times (my driver's license had my new address on it), which is why I am so confused as to why it went there. And I do communicate with my mother and I DO ask her if I received any mail there just in case (because I got a ticket sent there before and she said No, then I had my little sister check and she found it).

I am not blaming my mother for all my problems. I have risen above her and her petty BS, but it is undeniably her fault for outright LYING to me about getting my mail. I was speeding, I get that, I'll pay for that. The other fees that SHE CAUSED, is what I am asking about and would like to be compensated for. All of these extra tickets and fees could have been avoided if my mother had just given me the ticket in the first place.

2) Why in the world would you think your race has to do with this?
As for race. Have you ever had to sit in a court room full of Hispanic (some that speak English, some not) people and had the same white judge get annoyed with case after case? Arizona is not a friendly state to Hispanic people, Sheriff Joe Arpaio has made sure of that. So, if you are not a minoity in a state, especially a controversial border state, you cannot understand what it feels like to be judged simply by how you look.

Antigone*

As for race. Have you ever had to sit in a court room full of Hispanic (some that speak English, some not) people and had the same white judge get annoyed with case after case? Arizona is not a friendly state to Hispanic people, Sheriff Joe Arpaio has made sure of that. So, if you are not a minoity in a state, especially a controversial border state, you cannot understand what it feels like to be judged simply by how you look.
I was about to ask if you wanted cheese with that whine but unless you have some Italian, cabernet sauvignon I'm not playing :p

...:eek: hold on a sec...was that me being racist:eek:

Have you talked to the post office? If you have put in change of address forms they are responsible to forward your mail. ALSO, if your mother is interfering with your mail, that is a federal offense and you need to take her to court.

Broke2009

Have you talked to the post office? If you have put in change of address forms they are responsible to forward your mail. ALSO, if your mother is interfering with your mail, that is a federal offense and you need to take her to court.
Hey look at that, someone actually offering help! Amazing! I thought I was just going to continuously get people coming in here to troll and flame me. Thanks SingleMomAZ for actually reading my story and offering intelligent advice that is actually relevant to the situation.

This is the ADVICE Forum, I am asking for ADVICE, not insults that clearly show me that you have far more problems to deal with in your life that you need to work out before you become a fully functional being in our society.

If you would like to help, please post something here. If not, please, do us all a favor a resist that petty urge to pick on someone who has already swallowed their pride to ask for help.

Thank you,
Broke2009

Antigone*

Hey look at that, someone actually offering help! Amazing! I thought I was just going to continuously get people coming in here to troll and flame me. Thanks SingleMomAZ for actually reading my story and offering intelligent advice that is actually relevant to the situation.

This is the ADVICE Forum, I am asking for ADVICE, not insults that clearly show me that you have far more problems to deal with in your life that you need to work out before you become a fully functional being in our society.

If you would like to help, please post something here. If not, please, do us all a favor a resist that petty urge to pick on someone who has already swallowed their pride to ask for help.

Thank you,
Broke2009
That's right Broke...you send those postal inspectors after mama. After all she is to blame for it all isn't she:rolleyes:

Broke2009

That's right Broke...you send those postal inspectors after mama. After all she is to blame for it all isn't she:rolleyes:
You don't read much do you?
If you would like to help, please post something here. If not, please, do us all a favor a resist that petty urge to pick on someone...
This is a polite request for you to cease your faceless, tactless, and pointless attacks on me. Please comply.

Thanks.

Country Living

Go to court, be nice to the judge, and pay what you owe. That's the nice response.

I suspect mom's version of the events is substantially different than your version. Her version probably includes your staying out late and with the wrong people, bad grades in school/dropping out of school, copping an attitude when she asks you to do something, stealing, not keeping your room clean, smoking/drinking/drugs, sex, disrespecting her, etc. She was probably counting the days until you turned 18 and she could shed herself of the misery.

Grow up. Get your GED. Pull your life together. And don't ever pull that race card thing again. It's disrespectful to the Hispanic people who have worked hard to make a good life for themselves and their families.

If you're going to whine about something, make it about the bad decisions you've made in your life. Quit blaming your mother for them.

patstew

This is a polite request for you to cease your faceless, tactless, and pointless attacks on me. Please comply.
You posts in public, you takes your chances. You don't get to choose what kind of responses you get. Suck it up and deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">