• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

43 yo mother being sued for vandalism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ducky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? id

I am being sued by my neighbor for a broken window. The night of the incident I was reading in bed, my son was sleeping and my daughter and two friends were watching tv downstairs. The police came to my door and said there were footprints in the snow leading to my back fence and around to my front door but I told them I knew nothing about the incident and had been awake since returning home after the snow had begun and put the bikes in the side yard which perhaps explained the footprints in the snow arount the front of the house. The police figured the perpetrator had jumped my fence as the footprints ended at the fence.

This neighbor of mine and I have had problems in the past. He had complained about my barking dogs on two occasions one of which I was issued a ticket for, on that same occasion he came to my home and yelled at my 14 yo daughter that if she didn't shut the dogs up, he would throw something over the fence and shut them up permanently, when I went to court we won the case as I had already put shock collars on the dogs and they had been on them for a year and I had video showing the other neighbor dogs barking while mine did not. He also said that the animal control officer had witnessed my dogs barking which she then said was not true on the stand. He was so angry he was yelling at the prosecuting attorney and the bailiff asked my husband and I to leave because he was behaving so erratically.

Not long after that his deck was egged and I found that a friend of my 13 yo son had thrown them over the fence. I offered to clean up them mess and was very accommodating to him and apologized profusely.

Now I am being sued for $1500 for the replacement of glass in a 1.5x4 window which was broken in the middle of the night. I will add that my daughter is over 200 pounds and could not have possibly jumped my fence. I don't believe anyone in my household could have done this as I was aware of what everyone in the house was doing at the time of the incident. Also, on a previous occasion my truck was parked in front of my house and some teenagers hit it hard enough to cause 12k worth of damage and the driver drove his vehicle off while several others were hopping fences trying to get away from the trouble. From what I can tell it could have been a situation similar and someone jumped my fence simply because it was the closest one.

how does it look for me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">