• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcement of Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nittio9

California.

I have a Default Judgement entered Dec., 1999. How should I go about collecting the amount ($35,000), such as garnishing wages or liens? Can I do this myself and how, or should I use a Judgement Recovery Service?

Thanks for any help.

JETX

You can attempt to enforce the judgment yourself but, if you don't know where the debtor is, you will have to have some skip-tracing and asset investigation skills.

If you know where the debtor is, your job is much simpler. I would suggest that you go by a large bookstore or library and get a copy of a lawsuit book... something with a title like "How to sue in Small Claims...", try to get a California specfic book. The last chapter or so usually contains some information about how to enforce your judgment.

Also, I do judgment recovery on a National basis (website located in signature).

N

nittio9

Reply to Steve Halket

Thank you so much for your reply! As you suggested, I have checked Small Claims Court and found several good books. I shall try to collect on my own first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">