• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Need Serious Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dheaberlin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Im A Single Mother Of One Living With My Grandparents, They Gave Me A Vehicle And Told Me As Long As I Pay On The Vehicle I Could Have It. So I Have Been Paying The Notes, Insurance, And The Keep Up On The Car. Now That I Am Ready To Be On My Own They Will Not Let Me Take The Vehicle, The Reason They Are Doing So Is So They Could Keep My Son And I With Them Longer, In Order For That To Happen They Are Threatening To Take The Car Away From Me Because It Is In Their Name. They Have Also Documented That I Pay The Notes And The Insurance On Time, But They Give Me No Receipt. What Can I Do?

sandyclaus

Yes, you do need serious help...

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Im A Single Mother Of One Living With My Grandparents, They Gave Me A Vehicle And Told Me As Long As I Pay On The Vehicle I Could Have It. So I Have Been Paying The Notes, Insurance, And The Keep Up On The Car. Now That I Am Ready To Be On My Own They Will Not Let Me Take The Vehicle, The Reason They Are Doing So Is So They Could Keep My Son And I With Them Longer, In Order For That To Happen They Are Threatening To Take The Car Away From Me Because It Is In Their Name. They Have Also Documented That I Pay The Notes And The Insurance On Time, But They Give Me No Receipt. What Can I Do?
As far as I can tell, you have been paying for the long term use of the car, kind of like a rental. The car was "yours" (to use) as long as you paid the notes ("rental fee") and insurance (your responsibility while using the car). Up keep would be maintenance, and again, likely your responsibility while using the car. There was no explicit agreement for them to sign the title over to you at any point.

Are your grandparents willing to take on the cost of paying for that car themselves? Is that something they'd be willing to trade-off for forcing you and your son to remain living with them?

This is not a good deal for you, especially under the circumstances. If you were to sue them for the car or return of your money, I find it doubtful that you would succeed (based on the above). Cut the apron strings. Move out and buy your OWN car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">