• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting back my stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theLwerd

I moved out of my apartment on August 1, but needed somewhere to store some of:cool: my things until September 1. I gave my former roommate money for letting me store my things there, and obtained a receipt. I'd like to go back and get my things (some of which I am trying to sell on Craig's List), but my former roommate won't let me go back to get them because she's away. She refuses to give me the phone number of her new roommate in order to get them. She also plans on allowing me to get them only while she's there, on a day that she knows *I* will be out of town. She's doing this to get back at me; we had a bad falling out. I want to know if it's within my legal right to get my things even while she's not home, if my former landlord (her current landlord) is there with me and let's me in, as I no longer have a key. Basically she's stealing my stuff by not granting me access to it, and only giving me access during a few day period when she knows I'll be gone, so I'll have to give her my things instead of taking them with me or selling them. What are my rights?! What can I do in order to get my stuff?!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">