• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foster Dog Attack

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dpsmith124

California

We volunteer with a dog rescue organization. The current dog we are fostering attacked my husband and another one of my dogs. The rescue refuses to pay for damages that occured. (vet bill is all we are currently asking for) They claim I signed a volunteer agreement that exempts them from liability in the event of a dog attack, even though they own the dog. They can not or will not show me the volunteer agreement that I supposedly signed, and the volunteer agreement posted on their website for those who want to foster dogs does not mention anything about dog attacks and who is liable. Are they responsible for the dog? Even if we did sign a volunteer agreement which states they are exempted from liability, are they still responsible, or does this get them off the hook? Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The dog was under your care and control...I really don't think you have a leg to stand on.

Ozark_Sophist

The dog was under your care and control...I really don't think you have a leg to stand on.
As a canine foster parent myself, I agree with Zigner. Rescue pays costs associated with the foster dog. When foster dog tangles with our dog because of rabbit hysteria (trust me, the rabbits never had a chance), we paid the vet bill for both dogs. The dogs were under our control.

dpsmith124

CA Civil Code 3342

Is this the case even in reading CA Civil Code 3342? According to a law review I just found, section 3342 only creates liability for dog owners. If a person is keeping a dog, but does not own it, they have no liability under this section.*

*lawzilla.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">