• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe h

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
i sold a car and because they were a close friend i gave them a singede title even though they still owed me money. they sold the car to a third person, and i was never paid. that person got the car impoundedand could not pay the fees to get it out.so i paied the fees and got the car back for myself. now the oridgenol second person that had the car is tring to tace it form me. so what can i do to either keep the car or collect the money thats owed to me? $240.00 from oigenal sale and $600.00 for impound fees.
ps. the car is titled in nevada where i resently moved from. and as for now the title hasnt been changed from my name.:confused:

sandyclaus

You can sue the 2nd person, the one YOU sold the car to.

You may have signed the title paperwork over, but that person never turned in the appropriate forms to the DMV or registered it (if they had, you wouldn't have been notified that the car had been impounded, no would you have had the authority to get it out).

You can look at this as a good thing. You've essentially repossessed the car because the 2nd person didn't pay up, and allowed a 3rd person to use it, and tried to resell it without transferring ownership first. That last transaction didn't have a clean title to work with.

Demand payment of your remaining balance & your impound fees that that other person's actions caused. Only when you have received full payment, then you can go WITH the 2nd person down to the DMV and transfer ownership to him TOGETHER. PERMANENTLY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">