• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

volunteering at condo association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mihamih13

Illinois

Hi,
A bunch of us homeowners want to volunteer some of the maintenance work at our condo association. Things like making sure timer switches are set to proper times for the year, changing light bulbs or broken switches, planting grass, fixing dry wall, some cleaning. Our management company says that they don't want volunteers because they are afraid we will hurt ourselves while volunteering and sue the association. We offered to sign releases of liability stating that we won't sue them and we were told that this is not acceptable because such releases don't hold up in court. I'm not sure these points are valid. Are their concerns valid? Is there something I can do to get them to allow us to help?

Thanks much!

Redcat9

Management company points are valid....liability is always a concern. Your association board hired the management company to perform the work your group wants to volunteer to do....why not let the management company do their job?;)

mihamih13

Well mainly because it would save us a lot of money. Things will also get maintained much better because we care about where we live. The contractors often don't care. For example, no one cleans the hallway lights now and they are full of bugs. We even have a full time handyman. And he does not care either...

Are you saying that a release of liability does not hold up in court? I would never sue my association. I know enough to know that suing my association is basically suing myself. So this is a really just a pointless, frustrating road block for me.

Also yeah liability is always an issue. But isn't it always? Isn't it the exact same issue with the contractor that comes on site? I guess a follow up question is: What is the liability difference between a volunteer doing the work and a paid contractor doing the work? (They have releases of liability in their contracts. I'm willing to sign the same).

Thanks much!

Redcat9

The management company should be hiring contractors that are licensed/bonded as required by the association insurance company volunteers are not.

mihamih13

ok thanks for answers. yeah I already got an answer on another forum that suggested I call insurance company and ask what they policy is regarding volunteers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">