• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Party Dress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AUGUSTBRIDE09

Hello,

I live in NY state and i was wondering if anyone knew the answer to my issue.

Here's the situation:

I'm getting married in a few weeks and my maid of honor dropped out of the wedding (she didn't want to be a part of it because she had issues with the bridesmaids), so anyways.. her dress was ordered and still had a balance of $100 left on it.

I told her i would see if one of my other friends could fit into it, if not, i wouldn't be able to do much to help her. So, i called the bridal shop and asked them if i could have my other friend try on the dress to see if it fit. She told me not without a fax from the maid of honor saying it was ok to release the dress to me for the try on, i said fine.. my maid of honor sent the fax "please release the dress to _________, signed, _________"

Well, the dress didnt' fit. So now the bridal shop calls me and says IT'S MY RESPONSIBILITY TO PAY FOR THE DRESS because of the fax they received saying to release the dress to me. I didn't sign for the dress or for the release, so how do i become financially obligated here? My maid of honor signed for the dress when it was ordered and it stated she would be responsible for the payment of the dress.

What if i was picking up the dress for my maid of honor..she would have sent a fax telling them to release the dress to me as well.. that wouldn't have meant i was paying for it!

Now the bridal shop is threatening to take me to small claims court for the balance on the dress.

Can they do this to me? Is this really my legal responsibility?

Please help..any advice on who to contact (lawyer wise or court wise) would be great!

xylene

They can take you to court.

They are very very unlikely to prevail given the lack of evidence.

But if they did win, you could sue the maid of honor.

Right now the dress shop is just flapping their gums.

Don't pay them, don't sign anything, and don't do anything until they sue (and they probably will not.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">