• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i need a lawyer at my arrainment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

discobitch

i was arrested in california for a felony drug possesion. i have no prior record, i was released on my own. i want to know if i should have an attorney present at my arrainment or not. i have been told that it doesn't matter, and a lawyer told me he would recommend i do. i don't want to do anything to hurt my case, but money is a big problem so i don't want to pay a lawyer for a court appearance unless it is nessessary.

L

lawrat

It is always good to have a lawyer present. In this case, can you really afford to mess up your life.

In California, it is your initial appearance.. At this hearing the judge will officially tell defendants about their constitutional rights and explain the charges against them. Also, bail (property temporarily given to ensure that a person released from custody will return at an appointed time) may be raised or lowered. In order to be released without paying bail, defendants may request to be released on their promise to appear. This is called "on their own recognizance" or "OR".

If a defendant who has been charged with a felony or a misdemeanor cannot afford to hire an attorney, the court will appoint one from the public defender's office. (The court does not appoint a public defender in infraction cases since they do not result in jail or prison terms.)

At the arraignment defendants will be asked to plead to the charges against them: guilty, not guilty, or, in some cases, nolo contendere (the person does not contest the charges, which legally is the same as a guilty plea).

http://www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">