• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person used my info. to open utility account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

appletree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I wanted to know if I have a case here:
About 2 years ago a person used my information to open a PG&E electricity account. I allowed them to do this because I was living at the residence at the time. I moved out very shortly after the bill was set up but continued to let them use my name because they WERE a good friend. The bill was being paid consistently for 8 months and therefore I felt comfortable helping a friend out. A year ago it was brought to my attention through a third party that the bill had not been paid for 4 months and was at a a very, very high amount. I have attempted many times to settle with the person informally, but nothing is being done about it. I have spoken with the utility company ad nauseum, explaining my situation over and over. I felt very wronged and don't know what action to take. There must be something I can do!

appletree

I have definitely canceled the account. Right away, in fact, when I learned of the situation. Is small claims court the best place to take it?? I'm not sure under which category this falls.

Who would be the best person to speak with in person about this? I found a legal adviser in my city. Thinking that might be the best place to go with my questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">