• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving the scene accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahlove22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was rear ended about a month ago and the guy was stuck under my bumper. He was desperately trying to get away but he said it was only because we were in heavy traffic. As soon as my fiance helped push his bumper down to get him loose he fled the scene. Luckily, we got his license plate number and when the cops arrived they showed us a picture of the person registered with that plate. It was him.

They are just now starting the criminal investigation. We kept paint chips from his truck that were left on our bumper and I googled him and now have him as a friend on facebook, just in case. Because he did not see me the night of the accident because I was on the other side of the vehicle calling 911, he quickly accepted my friend request on facebook. We have his name, address, license plate, and DOB minus the year.

Should we go ahead and file a civil suit for the damages to our vehicle or wait until after the criminal investigation is over? We had to put a claim in with our insurance because he pulled the electrical line out from under our suburban and we had no tail lights or brake lights. There was some body damage to the rear and the estimate was $2000.00.

xylene

file an insurance claim and then sue for the deductible.

you may want to consider a lawyers help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">