• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue the parents of a 17yr old who broke into my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdot860

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

A 17 yr old broke into my apartment and stole about $1,000 of items from me.The police caught him and we're gonna be able to recover about half of it.Can i sue his parents for the other half?

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

A 17 yr old broke into my apartment and stole about $1,000 of items from me.The police caught him and we're gonna be able to recover about half of it.Can i sue his parents for the other half?
He will probably get ordered to pay that as a part of his sentencing, if he is found guilty.

If the parent has custody and the child lives with him/her, then the answer is yes. You can win a lawsuit against the parent for damages up to $5000.

Just Blue

If the parent has custody and the child lives with him/her, then the answer is yes. You can win a lawsuit against the parent for damages up to $5000.
Could you please provide a link to the state statute/current case law that will be back up this statement?

CourtClerk

Could you please provide a link to the state statute/current case law that will be back up this statement?
I believe... that perhaps the statement was made because the small claims limit in Connecticut is $5000 and the OP would (presumably) sue the parents in small claims court. In this instance, it appears that the poster is correct:

Conn. Gen. Stats. § 52-572 (2008)

(a) Parental liability for torts of minors. (a) The parent or parents or guardian, other than a temporary guardian appointed pursuant to section 45a-622, of any unemancipated minor or minors, which minor or minors wilfully or maliciously cause damage to any property or injury to any person, or, having taken a motor vehicle without the permission of the owner thereof, cause damage to the motor vehicle, shall be jointly and severally liable with the minor or minors for the damage or injury to an amount not exceeding five thousand dollars, if the minor or minors would have been liable for the damage or injury if they had been adults.
OP, you would want to sue the 17 year old AND the parents...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">