• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i countersue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pissytissy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I am being sued bc my exboyfriend co signed a car for me and when i couldn't make the payments he told me to give the car back and nothing would happen. so i did so. my aunt signed the paperwork for me bc i did not want to see him or his family. (she signed my name) Now they are suing me bc when they sold the car they lost 8000 dollars. I do not think this is my fault and should not be my problem anymore. so my question is can i counter sue bc i never actually signed anything and this is causing me much distress?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I am being sued bc my exboyfriend co signed a car for me and when i couldn't make the payments he told me to give the car back and nothing would happen. so i did so. my aunt signed the paperwork for me bc i did not want to see him or his family. (she signed my name) Now they are suing me bc when they sold the car they lost 8000 dollars. I do not think this is my fault and should not be my problem anymore. so my question is can i counter sue bc i never actually signed anything and this is causing me much distress?

So you co-signed the loan for the car, yes?

racer72

I do not think this is my fault
You are sadly mistaken. You didn't pay the loan, it's your fault.

so my question is can i counter sue bc i never actually signed anything and this is causing me much distress?
Did you call the police to report your aunt for identity theft? Or did you accept the fact that she signed your name? To bad about the distress, that's life. You can't sue for something that you caused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">