• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice for dog custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ford92

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho
I moved to Idaho about a year ago to be with my girlfriend. After a couple months with her, I decided to get a companion dog. She seemed to be a little jealous of the dog from the time I brought him home.
She took him into the vet to have him fixed and put a microchip in him, so her name was put on the paperwork at the vets office. I didn't think at the time it was a big deal. We both have paid for vet bills and for food.
We moved out of the house 4 months later, and I took the dog with me(she didn't have anywhere to keep him). He lived with me full time, going to work with me everyday. I broke up with her about 5 months later and continued to keep the dog. We remained friends afterwards and she was able to see the dog and spend a little time with him.
This went on for 2-3 months and she moved to a different location and was able to have a dog. She wanted to start keeping him overnight and we worked out an agreement switch off every week.
We had an argument one day when she came to pick him up, and now refuses to bring him back to me. She told me everything was in her name, and there was nothing I could do to get him back. I filed with small claims the next day.
I have talked to the people I got the dog from and they are willing to go to court with me. I also found out my name is on both the vet papers and the microchip as her spouse. She called the vet about a month before she took him from me and requested to have my name removed. I think she had intent to take him away from to me to try to make me miserable.
Now I think she might have plans to move to Oregon, and I'm not sure how everything is going to go. She has been served with papers, but I don't have a court date yet.
Is there any other info I should try to get? And what if she moves, will she still have to go to court and return the dog if he is awarded to me?
Thanks

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Dogs are property. They are owned; one does not have custody.

If you can prove that you own the property involved, then your property or the value of said property will have to be returned.

Ford92

I have some proof that he belongs to me, but not sure what she is going to say in court. I just want to make sure I have enough proof that he is mine. Has anyone ever had any experience with a case like this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">