• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JudyDudiak

I am a computer/business consultant in Las Vegas, NV. A local corporation contracted me to develop a series of databases. I installed and was paid for several of the modules. The contract for a smaller add-on module has been breached. I installed and was testing the add-on when the company decided to go into a different direction. Their decision was based what could be illegal business practices.

The total (signed) contract for this add-on was $12,000. They paid $6,000 and stopped me when I had the project 95% completed and installed at their location. The CFO verbally admitted nothing was wrong with my work and recommitted to paying me the balance. That was a year ago.

They have not responded to my calls or certified letters for demand of payment. In my December, 2000 letter to them, I warned I would take legal action next. Nevada Small Claims limit is currently $5,000. I have quite a bit of paralegal experience in financial planning areas but zero in litigation. I plan on representing myself and filing a breach of contract lawsuit in the appropriate jurisdiction.

This $6,000 represents a substantial sum to me. The lack of timely payment caused many problems last year. I have been and will be spending a good deal of non-billable time on this before it's over. For me, non-billable time directly translates to loss of wages. What damages can I sue for and what would be an appropriate amount? This is a fairly large, successful company, wholly-owned by a very wealthy individual. I've been keeping track of my time spent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">