• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Can anyone tell me what the statute of limitations is on filing a claim against someone in small claims?

The person who actually needs to file this claim is currently incarcerated and his power of attorney (his mother) can't file on his behalf, for some reason. She is able to do everything else while he is away but not this. The court clerk said that he has to be in court in person; that she cannot stand in for him.

Thank you for your help,
Kristi Love

link did not work for me

I could be doing something wrong but the link you offered me did not work. I will conduct some more research when I am able to find some free time. Thank you for helping me though!

Kristi Love

Type of Claim

My boyfriend loaned a "friend" $7k. The "friend" has paid him a total of $500. She did sign a promissory note, I think that is what it is called, stating that she would pay it back in full by this past January. So whatever type of claim this would fall under. I hope this helps. I am still uncertain as to the statute. I suppose I could call the court clerk: he/she should know.

JETX

My boyfriend loaned a "friend" $7k. The "friend" has paid him a total of $500. She did sign a promissory note, I think that is what it is called, stating that she would pay it back in full by this past January. So whatever type of claim this would fall under. I hope this helps. I am still uncertain as to the statute. I suppose I could call the court clerk: he/she should know.
The SOL (Statute of Limitations) in Texas for an unpaid debt, both verbal or written, is four years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">