• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momcobb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

I want to get power of attorney for my husband. It is mostly so I can deal with all of his medical bills and don't have to go through all kinds of different paper work to be able to deal with this.

Is there a standard form I can get and just have it notarized? Or do I have to go through an attorney?

Please tell me there is a simple and cheap way to do this, as we have $33,000.00 in medical bills, my husband is uninsured and is unemployed.

Thank you for your time and help.

Beth

Kiawah

Not a lawyer**************..

Sure, you can get a simple POA many places. I had built one many years ago from Quicken Will Maker for my MIL, and I think even legal zoom dot com (or whatever that advertising is) claim to have them available. I've also had lawyers draft up POA's, and in my opinion there is certainly a difference in quality between the two.

In dealing with medical insurance companies however, you may have two issues that you'll need to have addressed. One is the financial side, of which the POA can give you the authorization to pay bills and handle financial issues on his behalf.

The second issue will be HIPPA laws, which some insurance companies may claim get in the way of them discussing specific bill details with you. You should investigate a Durable Health Care POA, which can give you the authorization to make medical decisions for your husband, can address his end of life desires, and address the HIPPA authorization issues.

I personally would suggest spending a little bit of quality time with a lawyer and get all of the documents set up correctly and completely, so you have everything you need for the next 15 years before medical situations deteriorate mental capacities. You can get your documents in order as well.

Last edited:

momcobb

poa

Thank you both for your answers.

Kiawah,

My husband is not in the hospital any more. It's just that I handle all the finances and going through the medical records, etc. Also, it is just easier for me to handle it all.

Again, thank you both for your help.

Beth

Not a lawyer**************..

Sure, you can get a simple POA many places. I had built one many years ago from Quicken Will Maker for my MIL, and I think even legal zoom dot com (or whatever that advertising is) claim to have them available. I've also had lawyers draft up POA's, and in my opinion there is certainly a difference in quality between the two.

In dealing with medical insurance companies however, you may have two issues that you'll need to have addressed. One is the financial side, of which the POA can give you the authorization to pay bills and handle financial issues on his behalf.

The second issue will be HIPPA laws, which some insurance companies may claim get in the way of them discussing specific bill details with you. You should investigate a Durable Health Care POA, which can give you the authorization to make medical decisions for your husband, can address his end of life desires, and address the HIPPA authorization issues.

I personally would suggest spending a little bit of quality time with a lawyer and get all of the documents set up correctly and completely, so you have everything you need for the next 15 years before medical situations deteriorate mental capacities. You can get your documents in order as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">