• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer immune from civil liabilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CJ Ryan

I recently wrote about a job offer being rescinded because prior employer admitted to giving negative information to my new employer about another past employee with similar first name. I wrote and asked her to please write a letter clearing my name, or I would seek further legal actions. Today I receeived a letter from her attorney telling me though the employer made a mistake she is immune from civil liability when they provide information about a former employee's job to a prospective employer. Is this true, even if the information given was not information that pertained to me, but to someone else, and caused me to lose a job?
Thanks in advance for your help
Chris in Colorado

A

Attorney_Replogle

I don't know the laws of CO, but in CA I believe that attorney is right. There is a qualified immunity given. Whether that qualified immunity would be lost in your situation, that should be the question you ask of a local employment law attorney. You should be able to find one near you at https://attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">