• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rroosa

I live in Georgia.

I answered an ad for a vehicle for sale at $6,800. I looked the vehicle over and said I wanted to purchase it. I gave the seller $50 cash as consideration to hold the vehicle and the seller agreed. I told him I would do a VIN check and was arranging financing but I had the cash even if financing was not approved. He gave me his binder containing service records and I left, agreeing to call him later in the day regarding the VIN check.

I called him an hour later and said the VIN checked fine and I would be by the next day with the funds. He agreed.

Later in the day the seller got a higher offer and took it.

Did I have a contract, and is it enforceble?

Antigone*

I live in Georgia.

I answered an ad for a vehicle for sale at $6,800. I looked the vehicle over and said I wanted to purchase it. I gave the seller $50 cash as consideration to hold the vehicle and the seller agreed. I told him I would do a VIN check and was arranging financing but I had the cash even if financing was not approved. He gave me his binder containing service records and I left, agreeing to call him later in the day regarding the VIN check.

I called him an hour later and said the VIN checked fine and I would be by the next day with the funds. He agreed.

Later in the day the seller got a higher offer and took it.

Did I have a contract, and is it enforceble?
Did you get your fifty bucks back?

rroosa

He is offering to give the $50 back.

But the reason this is important is he offered the car for $1000 less than blue book, and it is at least $3000 less than comparible market value in this area. This was a deal that rarely comes along, and I was the first to offer him asking price. I feel I should have first right of purchase, and we entered into an agreement.

Should I take him to small claims?

Antigone*

He is offering to give the $50 back.

But the reason this is important is he offered the car for $1000 less than blue book, and it is at least $3000 less than comparible market value in this area. This was a deal that rarely comes along, and I was the first to offer him asking price. I feel I should have first right of purchase, and we entered into an agreement.

Should I take him to small claims?
NO, take your $50 bucks and be done with it. There was no binding agreement.

Law Ninja

Q: Do I have a contract?

A: You have two possible arguments depending on the details: (1) The $50 bought you an option, and you now want to exercise it. Perfectly enforceable. (2) You created a sales contract, and the $50 was a down payment. Ordinarily, auto sales for more than $500 must be in writing to be enforceable, but there is an exception when the party to be charged accepts the benefit of the contract (the $50).

So, you do have a couple of reasonable arguments if you take this matter to court.

Antigone*

Q: Do I have a contract?

A: You have two possible arguments depending on the details: (1) The $50 bought you an option, and you now want to exercise it. Perfectly enforceable. (2) You created a sales contract, and the $50 was a down payment. Ordinarily, auto sales for more than $500 must be in writing to be enforceable, but there is an exception when the party to be charged accepts the benefit of the contract (the $50).

So, you do have a couple of reasonable arguments if you take this matter to court.
This one is a perfect candidate for Judge Judy:rolleyes:. I can see it now, OP I'd ask for 1.2 mm in damages, anything less than that wouldn't be worth your time:rolleyes:

Law Ninja

OP I'd ask for 1.2 mm in damages, anything less than that wouldn't be worth your time:rolleyes:
That is NOT the proper measure of damages. if the OP wins a lawsuit, then he is entitled to the difference between the contract price and the price for the OP to buy a comparable car elsewhere. Or, if the car is unique, then he can demand specific performance.

HI-YAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Antigone*

That is NOT the proper measure of damages. if the OP wins a lawsuit, then he is entitled to the difference between the contract price and the price for the OP to buy a comparable car elsewhere. Or, if the car is unique, then he can demand specific performance.

HI-YAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ok, ninja...did you kick your sense of humor in the behind when you HI_YAAAAAd:p

Antigone*

There are so many wrong answers posted in this forum as serious advice, I would never assume that your answer was meant in jest, particularly since it wasn't humorous.
Whatever karatekid, the OP is still wasting her time. But oh, well your advice was legally accurate.

rroosa

Ok, so it SOUNDS like I possibly have an argument even without a written contract. Is that right?

And could judgement be the difference between the sales price and a comparible price or sales price and the blue book value?

Law Ninja

Whatever karatekid, the OP is still wasting her time. But oh, well your advice was legally accurate.
Yes, what I posted was legally accurate. But it would not be a waste of time to sue if there is truly a $3000 difference between the contract price and market price for comparable vehicles.

rroosa

One other thing I think is important. In the absence of a written contract. The seller gave me a folder containing ALL service records of the vehicle during his possession. I still have it in my possession. Could that be viewed by a judge as evidence (in lieu of a written contract) of a formal agreement? Why would a seller give that to me if there was no agreement to purchase?

You Are Guilty

HI-YAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If you had said the measure of damages is the difference between the contract price and the price the OP paid to buy a comparable vehicle, I'd say you were spot on.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since you mentioned it Law Ninja - is specific performance an available remedy in Georgie Small Claims court actions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">