• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crosswiring electricity in common areas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdw22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ma

i own a condo in a triple decker. the man who sold units 2(me) and 3 resides in unit1. his son lives in a room in the basement (the storage unit belonging to unit1). all of the basement and stairway electricity is on the common area bill. the bills run between 50-80 /month. this is obviously mostly due to the son living in the basement (has bathroom and stove and sink). units 1 and 2 use the common area to turn on the lights in the hall to get in or out, and we promptly turn them off. at this point my unit does not even do that, i have battery operated lights yet the bill remains the same.
unit 1 agrees that the bill is somewhat higher due to his son, but thinks the condo association should be paying $40-$50 each month. because we disagree the bill has not been payed in 3+ years and is now at 3000.

unit 1 thinks we should all pitch in and get an electrician to separate out the storage units. we feel that our storage units are not posing a problem and we should not have to pay for him to seperate out his, especially since he was the one who set the place up as condos and should have done it then.

i would like to shut off the power in the common area but am afraid that i will be liable for any accident. ironically unit 1 could sue me, and i have no doubt he would.

i would like to report his illegal studio apartment but have been advised that the whole building is on the hook for that.

since unit 1 is the original owner and was negligent in condoizing and also benifits from its cross-wiring, do we have a case against him?

jdw22

thanks but no thanks

that was entireley unhelpful. as i said, if i report the unit, the whole building is on the line for it.
anyone have any legal advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">