• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Moving my Garbage Can

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA state

This may not be a legal question, I'm not sure.
I am recently divorced and since that time, my male neighbor has decided to move my garbage can away from my house (which is also away from his house). We are in a cul-de-sac and my house sits to the south of his and a little back, so we share partial driveway. Our garbage comes on Wed and as of this morning, Thur, my garbage was moved to the north. Sure, I can walk farther to go get it but why should I? He apparently just doesn't like the sight of a garbage can in front of his house. The effort he takes to move it away he could actually be a gentleman and move it south and set it in my driveway (yeah right), but he'd rather be a jerk and move it the opposite direction.
What's the best way to handle this? We don't go beyond "hi" so knocking on his door isn't something I want to do.

Perhaps you should leave YOUR GARBAGE CAN in front of YOUR HOUSE.
It IS in front of my house. Like I said, my house sits back and to the south of his house so to put the can in front of my house is also putting it in front of his house. No, the garbage men are not moving it, he is doing it. No one elses garbage cans are moved, just mine. I am assuming he is doing it Wed night and I get home late from work.
I don't have his phone number and I don't feel comfortable approaching him in person. I already called the city and they said I'm not forced to bring my garbage can up the same day it's picked up and he has no right to really do anything with it since it's public property.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Has our society really become so socially dysfunctional that a neighbor can't talk to another neighbor face to face??

You asked for the "best way to handle this". The best way to handle it is to politely ask him to stop. I suppose you could always put a note on the garbage cans if you absolutely can't bring yourself to make eye contact.

Mass_Shyster

Unless he is doing damage to your garbage can, you have no legal recourse. The courts will not get involved. You can google trespass to chattels for more information.

Maybe he knows you are divorced and is doing this in an attempt to get you to knock on his door. It may be childish, but he's a man, and entitled to act like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">