• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CondoIll

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

My Condo Assn is proposing the erection of a 6 foot privacy fence that would
run about 46 feet in length. The fence would be in close proximity to my unit.
I'm concerned about the possibility of someone being able to hide behind this
privacy fence and assaulting me in the future. I've expressed my concern to the Board but it looks like they may erect the fence anyway. I feel my safety will be compromised by this privacy fence that will act like a shield for a criminal to hide behind.

Would there be a legal liability issue here where I could sue the Condo Assn should I be damaged via assault, etc. due to the fact that the Condo Assn
created this area that a criminal can easily hide before attacking me? I intend to keep photographic proof of before & after to illustrate the safety of the area
being diminished by the privacy fence.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

My Condo Assn is proposing the erection of a 6 foot privacy fence that would
run about 46 feet in length. The fence would be in close proximity to my unit.
I'm concerned about the possibility of someone being able to hide behind this
privacy fence and assaulting me in the future. I've expressed my concern to the Board but it looks like they may erect the fence anyway. I feel my safety will be compromised by this privacy fence that will act like a shield for a criminal to hide behind.

Would there be a legal liability issue here where I could sue the Condo Assn should I be damaged via assault, etc. due to the fact that the Condo Assn
created this area that a criminal can easily hide before attacking me? I intend to keep photographic proof of before & after to illustrate the safety of the area
being diminished by the privacy fence.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

**A: if you are that concerned take a self-defense class, buy a pitbull, carry pepper spray or a gun****************************.....
And the answer is no on the liability issue.

Last edited:

CondoIll

Thanks for the answer.

Mine is an end unit and this privacy fence will take away most of the view
from my condo. This is likely to have an effect on lower my resale value.
Should I sell, would I have a case for the effect the fence had on lowering my resale value (provided that I sell at a lower price than what other end units are sold for, which I believe is likely)?

Your advice is appreciated !

HomeGuru

Thanks for the answer.

Mine is an end unit and this privacy fence will take away most of the view
from my condo. This is likely to have an effect on lower my resale value.
Should I sell, would I have a case for the effect the fence had on lowering my resale value (provided that I sell at a lower price than what other end units are sold for, which I believe is likely)?

Your advice is appreciated !
**A: now is not a good time to sell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">