• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

softsecret

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I received a letter from an attorney today, that they were going to collect a judgment I received in 1995 . I wondered since this is 14 years ago, can they still collect this judgment? I am pretty sure since its a judgment, I am bound.
I do owe but not as much as they are saying, which refects alot interest. Thank you very much!

Judgments in Indiana are good for 20 years.

After 14 years, you will certainly owe a lot of interest. In fact, most of the judgment by now will be interest.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I should bookmark this thread so I can point it out to the next wiseacre who says "I don't care if they get a judgment, I don't have any money anyway!" :rolleyes:

latigo

You are not out of the woods yet.

According to an Indiana court decision handed down in 2005 * (which found some confusion in the Indiana statutes) the judgment creditor has 20 years to enforce a money judgement.

After which there is a rebuttable presumption that the judgement has been satisfied.

Interest on final judgments accrues at an annual rate of six percent (6%). See: Indiana Code Section 34-54-8-5 (b)

[*] Lewis vs. Rex Metal Craft, Inc, Indiana Court of Appeals Case No. S382-1231

softsecret

Thank you so much for all of your info. I figured as much since it was a judgment. 20 years? sheesh! lol..I knew it was there and I should have paid on it and by now, it would have been gone! Now, my husband, who wasnt my husband back then, will have to help me pay it. The interest is double the original debt!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">